Monday, October 13, 2008

You wouldn´t be familiar with our immediate influences

One of my favourite stops of EuroTrip 2K5 (when Big McK, Lebo and I celebrated the end of grad school) was München (or Munich as Americans would have it). The city is most famous for Oktoberfest, which according to Wikipedia started in 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen.

I don’t know how many years Birmingham has held Oktoberfest celebrations, but after suffering another embarrassing Auburn loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks, I convinced Whaley to attend the one at the FDSK German Club downtown.

I’m not really sure what the FSDK does every other weekend of the year, but on Saturday this place was packed (I'm assuming Friday was, too)! From 5 to midnight, they had authentic German food, music and beer. We got there around 8:15 and were disappointed to see all the wiener schnitzel was gone, but settled for Bratwurst plates with sauerkraut, potato salad and rye bread.


The camera on my phone has negative 2 megapixels, but hopefully you get a sense for all that Bavarian deliciousness. Mmmmm, next year I’ll be sure to get there early.

No comments: