Monday, October 20, 2008

Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about . . .

I am a sucker for pop music. Give me a catchy beat, a nice melody, etc. and I can’t help myself. Why do we consider certain songs “guilty pleasures”? Does music lose credibility once it becomes “popular”? Why should we care what other people think?

Ask Robby Brumberg about a problem I have with certain songs. Sometimes I can’t help myself, and I will put a song on repeat 10+ times without getting sick of it (for the record, the song was Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus” and I’m sure Rob will never be able to listen to it again . . .)

Last summer, it was R. Kelly vs. Broken Social Scene “I’m a Flirt (Shoreline)” a song by the Hood Internet.


The Hood Internet are two white guys from Chicago who “mash-up” hip-hop with indie rock. It’s funny how you can put hip hop lyrics on top of a completely different song, and come out with POP GOLD! (Case in point – "Stuntin' Like Black Rock" (Birdman & Lil' Wayne vs. Black Rock). Love the mash-up! The original was just alright for me, dawg . . .)

Well today, they just dropped their third mix tape!


Please disregard the “subtle” Obama reference they throw in (Will, do you think they got Shepard Fairey to design their artwork?)

No comments: