Monday, December 1, 2008

Week in Review

I really did have good intentions to catch up on a little blogging over the holiday weekend, but I’m sure you’ve noticed . . . nothing! I’ll try not to bore you (nobody likes a “vain blogger”, right??) with what I did instead . . .

Wednesday night, the wife and I went to John Cassimus’ (of Zoe’s fame) newest restaurant venture, Maki Fresh, a Sushi Bar & Japanese Grill. I like the concept, but would like to see more variety in the Sushi options (Crunch Crunch – good, Summer – ehhh??). We also decided at the last minute to finally go see Fireproof. I really didn’t think the acting was that bad (if you really want some bad acting, check out Facing the Giants . . . no offense, both were good movies with positive messages . . . just not Oscar winning performances).

Thursday, the wife and I celebrated Thanksgiving at her sister’s house with some tasty food catered by Sweet Bones Alabama. Now, before you go and cast guilt and shame on us (who am I kidding, we just brought the rolls) for catering, there were 24 folks there (6 kids, 18 adults). Sweet Bones Alabama (formerly BoneDaddy’s) recently opened in the former On the Border location at the Scummit. They spent a lot of time and effort re-doing the interior, and the menu is on par with any of the award-winning BBQ you’ll find in Memphis. FYI - If you go for Sunday brunch, they have really good BBQ Bloody Mary’s . . .

Friday, the Mrs. was up and at ‘em at 4:30 am to brave the Black Friday crowds but was back home and in bed by 6:30. We headed back out to brave the Scummit after lunch, and then spent some time hanging out with Wyatt (and Fef & Clay) before going to Four Christmases. I know the reviews weren’t that great, but we both thought it was hilarious. Then again, if you’re a Vince Vaughn fan, he basically plays the same character he’s been playing the last 5 years (Old School, Wedding Crashers, etc. ) and has some really funny lines . . .

Saturday we went to Tuscalooser, to watch the worst Alabama Ass-Whuppin’ since 1962. We sat in a Bammer section. The traffic was awful. I mentally checked out of Auburn’s football season five losses ago . . .

And finally Sunday, the nephews and nieces (yep, there’s two if you count the bun in Jessica’s oven) came over to our house to take the annual grandchildren Christmas Card picture. This is the third year all the kiddies have dressed up in a Nativity scene for the In-Law's Christmas Card (Made on a Mac). Note: this is NOT the OFFICIAL finished card . . .

What I’m thankful for this year:

My sweet wife *

I really am so blessed to have a wife that loves me as much as the Mrs. She’s such a good hearted (she’s a kindergarten teacher), beautiful, hilarious woman (doesn’t “woman” make it sound like she’s 40?) who not only loves me unconditionally, but also challenges and inspires me to be the Godly leader I want to be.

That God loves me enough to send his Son, Jesus to die for my sins. Everyday I fall short of His standards, but I know He loves me just the same. I’m sad to say, I’m not the “boldest” Christian, and although most people know I’m a “good guy” I’m not the kind of guy that can just drop in verses or “Christian” dialogue naturally in conversation. I don’t mean to get all preachy, but I can’t thank God enough for what He has done for me and praise Him for who He is.

My friends and family, in Birmingham and everywhere else throughout the U.S. We had 26 groomsmen/bridesmaids in our wedding. We love our friends and family. We’re glad we get to see a lot of them on a regular basis here in the Magic City and would love to see more of you here (wink, wink, nudge, nudge . . . Brad come work for Harbert!!)

Google Reader. Seriously, if yall are not using Google Reader, you are wasting your time on the internet (which if you are reading this blog, I guess you already are??)

PS – This post is so self-servingly long, but I’m trying to make up for lost time . . . please forgive me.

* Yes, I know I’m already posting my one “sentimental” post on 12/1 . . .

No comments: