Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ace of Cakes . . . err, Spades!!

This post is dedicated to Colton, Whaley & JD.

So two years ago, I was all hyped up about some Butternut Squash soup and tried to make it for a group of our friends on New Year's Eve. I was pretty cocky and didn't actually try out the recipe beforehand (I think it was Tyler Florence's) and needless to say it was a bust (at least I thought so). Well, this week on Google Reader, I saw not one, but two different folks blogging about ole Mr. Butternut Squash (I guess its not that weird since Thanksgiving is this week). The wife also had some tasty butternut squash soup the other weekend in Asheville, so I decided I would give it another go.

I'm no expert on Butternut Squash, but I was a little disappointed in the size Publix had (I'm including the bottle of Shiner Bock as a reference and also to try and un-Gay this post as much as possible*).

The recipe I used this time came from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) via the Amateur Gourmet. If you've ever watched Ina on Foodnetwork, you know she loves to use HEAVY CREAM and BUTTER in almost everything! I always crack up, because whenever she over-indulges in her recipes, she reassures the camera/audience, "You know, it's ok, this is for a special occasion/recipe."

Anyways, I was pretty pleased with how the soup turned out (I didn't use as much curry powder, and added more apple cider). I didn't really think about how much soup this would make, so if anybody is hungry, we have about 2 quarts worth in the freezer!

* I'm also listening to Motorhead right now!!

3 comments:

The Hardens said...

I was talking about your butternut squash soup last Tuesday while eating some at Newk's with Jonny. I haven't had yours but for some reason I associate it with you??? I guess I remember you talking about it.

Gray said...

Dude -

The Shiner Bock totally ungayed that post. How much would it cost me to get a bowl of that stuff frozen up and sent in one of those styrofoam coolers with dry ice? Let me know b/c I it looks pretty freakin good.
peace,
g.

JD Lloyd said...

did you have on pleated pants at the time of this attempt at culinary redemption?