Thursday, November 6, 2008

Still a Red state

I get a lot of cookbooks as gifts but sadly don't do enough of them justice. Last Christmas I was super pumped when my sis gave me the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook. These guys (who look a little too light in their penny loafers to me) have some great recipes, but can definitely call for some "exotic" Southern ingredients. Anyways, we had an election party Tuesday night and tried their Red Velvet (cup) Cakes. It took a little guess work to convert the baking time (9-inch round cakes -> mini-cupcakes) but I think they turned out pretty good! The Mrs. also made Cindy McCain's Oatmeal Chocolate (substituted for Butterscotch) Chip cookies. No pictures because they were all eaten!

The wife and I are headed to Asheville, NC tomorrow for a little R&R. The liberal media published a pretty sweet article on Asheville last year and I'm excited to try out the various "foodie" establishments!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

woo! thanks for the shoutout! and i kinda want that recipe right now. did you see the ace of cakes guy making BLUE velvet cake with paula on paula's party? makes me wanna watch a david lynch movie.

Sarah Green said...

I saw these guys on Anthony Bourdain's show and felt like I could be friends with them. If only I had joined Evan Linder at College of Charleston!!

The Hardens said...

Well if the CPA life doesn't work out, maybe you could become a chef on the food network. I have had your guac. before and it is good stuff. If that didn't work, your food photography is pretty good.

Gray said...

I know...it has been a long time. I promise to crank to blog back up in a couple of weeks. Many changes in company and America going on right now. You should hit up a cooking show. Maybe you could even have girls jumping on trampolines in the back like the "Man Show" used to have. Until next time...peace.