Thursday, November 13, 2008

The boys are playing those old sad songs

Some might say I’m a Lucero “super-fan” (yes, I bought an original 7” Kiss the Bottle/My Best Girl split off eBay a few years ago). I’ve probably been to 30+ shows since the Summer of 2000 and although spraying PBR on your friends while singing “Tears Don’t Matter Much” isn’t near as fun as it was in college, I still enjoy getting out to see the boys play (they’ve already made two stops in the Magic City this year).

This Saturday, you can catch Ben Nichols (Lucero) with Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Tim Barry (Avail), and Tom Gabel (Against Me!) on the Revival Tour at Workplay. Although, they all share punk roots, each has (or about to) released a solo and/or acoustic record recently. In addition to playing their own material on this Tour, it sounds like they’ll be trying out each other’s as well (Check out this song they all teamed up on here)!

Ben Nichols’ The Last Pale Light in the West is based on Cormac McCarthy’s novel, Blood Meridian, and is set to “drop” early next year (but you can pre-order with an instant digital download!). You might know McCarthy as the author of No Country for Old Men (I still need to see that!), and it looks like Blood Meridian is also set for the big screen in the near future.

Anyhow, I’ve never listened to Hot Water Music or Avail, but Against Me! always puts on a good show (they played Workplay in September).

Let me know if anyone is interested in going and check back next week for picts!

2 comments:

Sarah Green said...

Ah, the memories of Young Ave. Deli, Stricklands, and teen angst. Give Ben my love. PS- "The Road" is another great Cormac McCarthy read. Be prepared for tears.

Memphismodern said...

that is TONIGHT in memphis! i need to alert my posse. i hope they let me in - something bad happened the last time i went to the hi-tone, on my birthday. it is a story unfit for alex's blog comments.