Monday, July 20, 2009

Back Where I Come From

Five or six years ago, I bought the Kenny Chesney cd that had that song on it. I’m not a Kenny Chesney fan, (I didn’t even listen to country music until college) but I really dig that tune (the rest of that album is pretty awful). I remember playing that song while driving to Tunica for Brad’s bachelor party and feeling all “Southern” (especially in front of Brad’s “Northern” friend Isaac). My favourite part is where Kenny drawls out the “I’m uhhhhh Tennnn . . . ehhh . . . sseeeeuhhnn” . . .

Anyways, after an extended absence, the LOML and I returned to Memphis to hang out with the fam this past weekend. We ate a lot of good food (future post to follow!), went to the Memphis Flea Market (aka “the Big One”), and took a driving tour of my youth (6 years old and under). We debated on whether or not we should bring the Pheebes to Memphis, but we ended up bringing her. My family really likes her and we thought she might get a kick out of meeting my Mom’s dog, Jesse, and my sister’s dog, Teddy (who I strongly dislike, BTW). Here she is with Teddy:
I’m not sure how long it’s been since I went to a Flea Market, but this one sold so much CRAP!! Seriously, I don’t see how these vendors earn enough gas money to make their trip worthwhile. The only thing worth a second look (besides the people watching in general), were the Sugar Gliders. I’d never seen or heard of a Sugar Glider, but they’re about the size of a hamster and look kind of like a flying squirrel. They’re also $250 a pop.


After church Sunday, Mom took us (well, I drove, so I guess I took us) on the TMF’H residential driving tour. We lived in the same house from the time I was in kindergarten until after I graduated college, and I had not seen the first three houses we lived in since, uhhh, a long time (I knew where the house I lived in from 4-6 yrs old, but couldn’t tell you where those first two were). So with the LOML and Mom’s husband, Larry, in tow, we set off for Central Gardens.



House #1 - 1601 Linden Avenue (I was so Midtown)


House #2 – 2329 Lynnfield Road (Headin’ East)


House #3 – 7965 Farmingdale Road (Germantown Represent!!)

And then I found $20 . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived right next to house number 2 for my fledgling years, down on Hawkhurst. I bet you did a lot of swimming in your early days, living next door to the Y. Oh, the good ol' days that we can't even remember.

Anna Bean said...

I always love a good tour of Memphis and you ARE so Midtown!

MIMI said...

That must have been quite a trip down Memory Lane - I remember all those houses!

Laurie said...

i cant believe how open you are about your disdain for mr. teddy! not cool brother!!!!