Monday, April 13, 2009

Iron Chef Results

Ten days later, and I’m finally posting the pictures and results from IRON CHEF BRIDGERS/LEE (errr, ARGYLE)! As mentioned earlier, the secret ingredient was Lamb. Stephen had a butcher in Sylacauga (Sylvest Farms?) process the various lamb cuts, as I’m sure our wives would never look at us or a helpless baby lamb again if we had to SLAUGHTER it ourselves.

There were three teams (Mark, Murray and Stephen) competing and each team was to prepare three different courses, with the assistance of their Sous Chef (David, Mary and myself).

First, I have to give props to Team Mark for coming out, guns a blazing with the Lamb Tartare. Very aggressive, and while I think this may get rave reviews at Highland’s, I think it was a little too haute cuisine for our group! Great presentation!

Team Murray (the Winner) was OUTSTANDING and some of the best food I’ve ever tasted! Of course, I am a sucker for (good) ethnic cuisine, and when they started adding ingredients (curry, ginger paste, coriander, mint, etc.) to their Moroccan/Indian-inspired dishes, I knew we’d be in trouble. Here is their Lamb Shish Kebab stuffed tomatoes. I could eat this for a week straight!

Our theme was “Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner” and we prepared:

Eggs Benedict with Lamb Sausage on Rosemary Biscuit with Pan Fried Apples. It was my first time using a meat grinder attachment on a Kitchen Aid, and I think I want one now. Side Note: I ordered Creole Shrimp Eggs Benedict for brunch yesterday, and noticed the yolk was not runny . . . a sure sign it had been prepared beforehand. Still tasty, just an observation!


Lamb BLT (Atkins friendly, no bread . . . no picture). We grilled Lamb Sirloin, and served with a sweet (as in cool, not sugary) Tomato Terrine Stephen made the night before, and Arugula and Pancetta. So I guess it should’ve been called a P.A.L.T.

Braised Lamb with Risotto and Parmigiano-Reggiano cracker. We weren’t (grammar?) sure how braising Lamb for only 90 minutes would turn out, but I think it was a hit (and surprisingly tender).

Here is everyone hearing the results. Stephen and I came in 2nd, but I think Team Mark should have at least earned a tie. Until next time . . .

A la cuisine!

1 comment:

MIMI said...

Wow! What a terrific account of your Iron Chef competition. The photos are great, too. Thanks for sharing your very professional experiences!